To begin with, drivers depend on their insurance company to provide impartial treatment and compensation for individuals injured in auto accidents. But, that does not always happen. Actually, some insurance companies will employ bad faith tactics to deny or reduce payments of claims.
Moreover, insurance companies have the responsibility to handle your claim in good faith. Thus, understanding these bad faith insurance tactics will help you keep them accountable.
What are Bad faith tactics?
First, bad faith tactics are generally characterized as dishonest practices to get out of paying a valid claim. So, here are some bad faith tactics you should look out for when you file a claim.
- Delaying Claims – Some insurance companies will delay processing a claim hoping the claimant will give up. For this reason, states have established deadlines for denying or accepting a claim.
- Failing to Complete Investigation – Admittedly, insurance companies should complete a personal inspection. And look at all evidence to confirm the policyholder’s claim.
- Lowballing – When the insurance company offers less money than a claim is worth.
- Unwillingness to Pay a Valid Claim – This is when insurers deny claims covered by their policies.
- Distorting Policy Language – So, some insurance companies will misrepresent the language of the policy or law. Then they will use it against the policyholder to deny a claim.
- Threats – Unfortunately, some insurers may use threatening statements. Or, imply harsh legal action against a claimant.
In all honesty, if you experience any of these tactics from an insurance company, you need to contact an auto accident attorney.
Bad faith Florida Laws
Finally, to help protect individuals from bad faith tactics Florida established statute 626.9541. Which prohibits insurance companies from the deceitful acts of the tactics listed above. Additionally, under statute 624.155 the state allows you to recover unpaid damages from the insurer that acted in bad faith.
CONTACT A TAMPA AUTO ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
In short, after a car accident, you may not know your rights. Above all, don’t struggle through the process alone. Actually, our personal injury team is here to help you with any legal needs you might have regarding your accident.
Lastly, let RHINO Lawyers answer your questions and review the facts of your case with a Free Consultation. So, get started by completing the “Free Instant Case Evaluation” or by calling us any time, day or night, at 844.329.3491.