DIFFERENCE IN TRUCKING ACCIDENT LAWSUITS
Trucking accidents and car accidents are generally very different. Because, either the truck driver or the trucking company could face a lawsuit after an accident. This is because the driver is not always liable for the accident. In fact, many truck drivers are either self-employed or employed by one or more trucking companies. Depending on the situation, the truck accident lawsuit may look different! It’s important to understand these major differences when filing a lawsuit.
- Lawsuits Against Self-employed Truckers – In this situation, it is usually difficult to determine liability when the trucker was at fault. Compensation for damages typically comes from the truck driver, their insurance company, or the company that contracted the truck driver.
- Lawsuits Against Employed Truckers – When truck drivers work for different companies. Liability for damages could fall on the insurance company or the company the driver was working for during the accident. Alternatively, liability could also fall on the manufacture of the transported goods.
WHAT DAMAGES CAN YOU RECOVER FROM A TRUCKING ACCIDENT?
Once you have chosen a trucking accident attorney you will probably want to know what damages you can recover. This is where the experience of your trucking accident lawyer comes into play. Because they can determine what eligible damages you can recover in your case. In fact, a trucking accident attorney is aware of a wide variety of damages accident victims have received. Like, the most common damages victims recover after a trucking accident. For instance, here are some frequently recovered damages:
- Funeral and burial expenses for a loved one that lost their lives in a trucking accident.
- Medical bills for yourself and any family members that required medical treatment of any kind.
- Lost earnings and income as a result of being incapacitated by the accident.
- Lifetime lost earnings based on how many years a person would have worked if they had not been killed in the accident.
- The value of household services that were previously completed by the deceased.
- Emotional and trauma damages as a result of psychological pain.
- Expenses occurred through the administration of a deceased person’s estate.
The Complexity of Trucking Laws and Regulations
The trucking industry must conform to strict safety standards. These standards are set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. In fact, RHINO Lawyers’ trucking accident attorneys know and understand these standards. So, they are able to recognize when a defendant has not followed these standards.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A TRUCKING ACCIDENT
Finally, you should protect yourself and your rights after a car accident. As a matter of fact, most people don’t know what to do after an accident. So, these tips can help anyone involved in a trucking or car accident.
- Stop and Get to Safety – In all honesty, you should never leave an accident. Instead, if your vehicle is drivable move it to the side of the road out of traffic. Then, check yourself and passengers for injuries. Next, check on the other driver if possible. But, if you have injuries call 911 and don’t move.
- Call the Police – Always call the police when in an auto accident. They will file an accident report. More importantly, you will need this report when you file your claim.
- Exchange Information – Even if they do not have insurance, you will need their contact and vehicle details. Furthermore, you should get the contact information from any witnesses.
- Document the Details – You will need to write down the other driver’s vehicle information, time and location of the accident, and the officer’s name with a badge number. Also, try to document any details that may help when you file your claim.
- Take Pictures – Additionally, take pictures of the accident scene. Include photos of the damage to each vehicle, the license plate of the other driver, and traffic signs.
- Seek Medical Attention – Often, injuries are not immediately apparent. So, don’t wait to seek medical attention from your local emergency room or your family physician right away.
- Contact a Trucking Accident Lawyer – Actually, it is a good idea to consult with an attorney after an accident. Because a trucking accident lawyer can use their knowledge of relevant laws to help protect your rights. As well as, handling all the paperwork and filing deadlines. Thus, allowing you to focus on recovering and getting your life back to normal.
DO I NEED A TRUCKING ACCIDENT ATTORNEY?
Were you injured in a trucking accident? Then we recommend speaking with a trucking accident attorney. Our team of attorneys has the experience you need to protect your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. So, don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you, contact us today to get the help you need.
Ask These Questions Before You Hire A Trucking Accident Attorney
It is important to hire the right attorney after an auto accident. Especially, if you were involved in a trucking accident. Finding the right attorney is crucial to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. But, finding an attorney that is a good fit for you and your case shouldn’t be difficult. That’s why we have outlined the 6 best questions to ask a potential attorney.
- How much experience do you have with trucking accidents? – This is one of the most important questions to ask. Because it will let you know if you should look for a different attorney.
- What do you specialize in? – Experience isn’t everything. An attorney that handles personal injury cases but never had a trucking accident case, may not be the right choice for your case. Because an attorney with trucking accident experience is more likely to win your case.
- What were the results of past cases? – Knowing the potential trucking accident attorneys’ win rate will show you how well they handle the cases.
- Do you have a preferred contact method? – Being able to communicate with your attorney is very important for your case. So, finding a lawyer that shares the same communication methods will help everyone informed.
- What approach will you take? – Each lawyer has a unique style for handling a case. This style sets them apart from other attorneys. You should find a lawyer that uses a style you agree with.
- Do you think I have a case? – After reviewing your case details they will be able to let you know if you have a case. As well as, letting you know what they think your case is worth. This will make sure you have realistic expectations for your case.
CONTACT YOUR FLORIDA TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
BOLD REPRESENTATION. BOLD RESULTS.
Let RHINO Lawyers’ truck accident attorneys start helping you immediately by giving you free advice regarding the facts of your case.
So, get YOUR Free Case Analysis now by texting us, chatting with us online, completing the form below, or by calling 844.RHINO.77.