Why You Should Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Unfortunately, a motorcycle accident usually causes a lot of damage and can cost the victim a lot of money. With these accidents occurring more often victims should consider hiring a motorcycle accident attorney. Especially, since hiring an attorney has many benefits. So, here are 7 reseasons why you should hire a motorcycle accident attorney after an accident.
- Seek Compensation – An attorney will help you get compensation for your injuries and damages so you can focus on healing.
- Collect Better Evidence – Motorcycle accident attorneys know the right evidence to collect to support and prove your case. Like, videos, photos, and eyewitness testimonies.
- They Represented You In Court – Without an attorney, you will need to speak in court. But, when you have the representation they will speak for you. Not to mention, they know what questions to ask to get the full story and prove your case.
- Receive Guidance – They will guide you through your entire case. Making sure you know what to say and what not to say. Plus, they will help you understand everything happening with your case.
- File the Correct Paperwork – Lawsuits have a lot of paperwork to file. Especially, when dealing with a motorcycle accident lawsuit. So, if you have never gone through this process it is difficult to know all the right paperwork to file and when to file it. Luckily, a motorcycle accident attorney is familiar with all the paperwork and their deadlines.
- Go Through the Legal Process Quicker – Every step of the legal process requires a lot of time and attention. A motorcycle accident attorney understands this and will handle these steps for you. As well as, they will avoid any unnecessary steps to help keep your case on track. Allowing you to focus on healing.
- Understand the Outcome – An attorney understands how all the details of a case contribute to compensation. And will be able to use them to give you a realistic estimate of how much your case is worth. So, you will have a clear understanding of your possible outcome.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has documented well over a million people who treated in emergency rooms for motorcycle accident injuries. It then recorded the location of the injuries on the victim’s body. Additionally, the legs, and feet accounted for about 30 percent of all injuries. These consisted of fractures, dislocations, and joint damage. About 22 percent were to the neck and head in the form of traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries. Followed closely by “upper trunk” injuries to the chest, shoulders, and spine. Then, arm and hand injuries followed hip and pelvis injuries. As per the Hurt Report, injuries to the head and chest caused most motorcyclist fatalities.
Unless you otherwise overcome the no-fault threshold. The first $10,000 of your medical bills and other losses will come from your own insurance company under your personal injury protection coverage. After that, you can seek damages directly from the party who was responsible for your accident. So, expect the medical bills and lost time from work to be financially and emotionally overwhelming. And, under Florida law, those damages ordinarily consist of the following:
- Past and future medical bills.
- Past and future lost earnings.
- Any permanent disfigurement.
- Any permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of a normal life.
- Other substantial damages in the event of wrongful death.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT
Finally, you should protect yourself and your rights after a motorcycle accident. As a matter of fact, most people don’t know what to do after an accident. So, these tips can help anyone involved in a motorcycle or car accident.
- Stop and Get to Safety – In all honesty, you should never leave an accident. Instead, if your motorcycle is drivable move it to the side of the road out of traffic. Then, check yourself and passengers for injuries. Next, check on the other driver if possible. But, if you have injuries call 911 and don’t move.
- Call the Police – Always call the police when in an auto accident. They will file an accident report. More importantly, you will need this report when you file your claim.
- Exchange Information – Even if they do not have insurance, you will need their contact and vehicle details. Furthermore, you should get the contact information from any witnesses.
- Document the Details – You will need to write down the other driver’s vehicle information, time and location of the accident, and the officer’s name with a badge number. Also, try to document any details that may help when you file your claim.
- Take Pictures – Additionally, take pictures of the accident scene. Include photos of the damage to each vehicle, the license plate of the other driver, and traffic signs.
- Seek Medical Attention – Often, injuries are not immediately apparent. So, don’t wait to seek medical attention from your local emergency room or your family physician right away.
- Contact a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer – Actually, it is a good idea to consult with an attorney after an accident. Because a motorcycle accident lawyer can use their knowledge of relevant laws to help protect your rights. As well as, handling all the paperwork and filing deadlines. Thus, allowing you to focus on recovering and getting your life back to normal.
HOW TO REDUCE THE RISK OF A MOTORCYCLE CRASH
Unfortunately, riding a motorcycle does not come without risk. Like, an accident that causes injury or death. In fact, motorcycle riders are about 4 times more likely to suffer an injury in an accident compared to occupants of a passenger vehicle. Now you can reduce your risk of a crash or being severely injured with these helpful tips.
- Wear Protective Gear – With the leading cause of death in a motorcycle accident coming from injuries to the head. Wearing a helmet is the best way to protect your head. But, it is also important to protect the rest of your body with clothing like a jacket, pants, gloves, and sturdy shoes.
- Watch Your Speed – All drivers should obey the posted speed limit. Because the faster you drive the less time you have to react. Making it harder to avoid road hazards and other drivers. So, drive at speeds that allow you enough time to react and avoid an unexpected hazard.
- Know Your Blind Spots – Due to their size, it is harder for drivers to see motorcycles. So, riders should always stay alert while entering a car’s blind spot. Plus, motorcycle riders should avoid passing in high-traffic areas, and on curvy, bending roads whenever possible.
- Busy Roadways – Try to learn which roads you travel are the busiest and the times of heaviest traffic. When possible adjust your route to avoid these roads during those times. By doing this you reduce your risk of being hit by a distracted driver. Also, pay attention to street parking. The occupants of the car don’t always look for motorcycles or cyclists before opening their doors. This awareness will help you avoid crashing into someone’s car door.
- Stay Alert At Intersections – Getting rear-ended at an intersection is one of the main causes of motorcycle accidents. So, when stopped at an intersection riders should pull to the side of the lane, keep the bike in gear, and watch behind them. This will give riders the best opportunity to react and avoid a driver that doesn’t see them.
- Road Awareness – It is important for motorcycle riders to pay close attention to road conditions. Because things like slippery roads, loose sand, and potholes are dangerous for motorcyclists. Plus, having road awareness will help with anticipating and reacting to other drivers.
- Motorcycle Maintenance – If you want to make sure your motorcycle is safe. It is essential for motorcyclists to keep a well-maintained motorcycle. Because regular maintenance will decrease the chance of breaking down. So, give your motorcycle a once-over before you ride. By checking brake wear, tires, all lights, chain, and fluid leaks.
CONTACT YOUR FLORIDA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
BOLD REPRESENTATION. BOLD RESULTS.
Let RHINO Lawyers’ motorcycle accident attorneys start helping you immediately by giving you free advice regarding the facts of your case.
So, get YOUR Free Case Analysis now by texting us, chatting with us online, completing the form below, or by calling 844.RHINO.77.