First of all, we all know running a red light is against the law. And, when authorities catch you running a red light they receive a traffic ticket. But, the other side of running a red light is a car accident. Consequently, red light car accidents usually have a catastrophic outcome.
Red Light Accident Statistics
With national red light crash statistics showing nearly 940 people died in 2017. But, where does Florida fall within these statistics? Well, according to the report 10% of the fatalities occurred in Florida. So, here are some key stats for Florida you should know.
- Florida has the 5th highest death rate in the US from red light accidents.
- 741 people died from a red light accident in Florida from 2008-2017.
- From those that died 268 was the driver, 85 were passengers, 346 were in the other car, and 42 were either a pedestrian or a cyclist
Common Causes of Red Light Accidents
Considering, careless and reckless drivers cause all red light accidents. Still, these drivers exhibit some of the same common actions that lead to running a red light. So, here are some common causes of red light accidents.
- Racing to beat the yellow light or not slowing down for the yellow light.
- Not focusing on the road while driving or distracted driving.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Preventing A Red Light Accident
Even though we cannot control the actions of other drivers, we can adjust our behaviors while driving. With this in mind, as a driver here are a few tips to help you prevent a running a red light and causing a car accident.
- Don’t try to beat the yellow light to avoid a red light. Traffic lights are essential safety devices for keeping the roads safe and maintaining traffic flow.
- Just slow down and drive the speed limit. Because when you drive over the speed limit it makes it difficult to slow down for light changes.
- When stopped at a light wait a few seconds before moving through the light when it turns green. This will allow you to make sure the intersection is clear.
- Put your cell phone down and try to avoid any action that takes you attention off the road. When you avoid driving distracted it allows you more time to react to the ever-changing road conditions.
CONTACT A TAMPA AUTO ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
In short, after a car accident, you may not know your rights. Above all, don’t struggle through the process alone. Actually, our personal injury team is here to help you with any legal needs you might have regarding your accident.
Lastly, let RHINO Lawyers answer your questions and review the facts of your case with a Free Consultation. So, get started by completing the “Free Instant Case Evaluation” or by calling us any time, day or night, at 844.329.3491.