YOUR CASE, OUR PASSION.
Injured or Arrested? Our mission is to form a lasting partnership with every client. Our passion is the people we help and the lives that we help change. So, whether you have been injured or arrested–we are here to help.
The mild climate in and around Tampa makes it a great place to ride a motorcycle. Yet, busy streets and distracted drivers increase the chances of an accident. Rarely is there such a thing as a minor motorcycle accident. Because, other than a helmet, all motorcycle riders lack the protection motorists have. There isn’t a steel body with a frame surrounding them, and there aren’t any crumple zones either. Airbags and seat restraint systems are non-existent.
Whether you were injured by a negligent driver while cruising on your Harley Davidson Road King or zipping around on a Kawasaki Ninja, you’re going to want to speak to the RHINO Lawyers after any crash caused by a driver who failed to share the road or didn’t look twice.
As per the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 5,000 motorcyclists die in accidents in the United States every year. Furthermore, they estimate that another 100,000 will sustain injuries. Motorcyclists are about 29 times more likely to die in an accident. Additionally, injuries are six times more likely for them than drivers or occupants of passenger cars. Florida is perennially at or near the top of all 50 states in motorcycle accident injuries and fatalities.
The NHTSA commissioned the University of Southern California Traffic Safety Center to conduct a motorcycle safety study. Professor H.H. Hurt was the study’s primary writer. The Hurt Report remains the most comprehensive motorcycle accident study ever conducted in the United States. Although they published the report in 1981, nearly all the findings reported in it remain valid today.
Only about 25 percent of the motorcycle accidents studied were single-vehicle crashes. These involved the motorcyclist hitting the pavement or some type of fixed object like a tree, fence or building. The other 75 percent involved a collision with another motor vehicle. Most of which were passenger cars. In those crashes, the other vehicle failed to yield the right-of-way to the motorcyclist and caused a crash about 66 percent of the time. The drivers of the offending vehicles often stated that they either didn’t see the motorcycle approaching, or they didn’t see it until it was too late. That was usually when the driver of the passenger vehicle turned left in front of the motorcyclist.
They found intersections to be the most common sites for these accidents. Often, the driver of the passenger car violated laws in connection with traffic control devices. Conspicuity of the motorcycle and rider are critical to other motorists seeing them. Therefore, lights should be on even during sunny daytime hours, and the motorcyclist should wear bright clothing. The average time for a motorcyclist to attempt to avoid a crash was less than two seconds. The median speed before an impact with another vehicle was 29.5 mph. While the median speed at the time of impact was 21.5 mph. The Hurt Report found that 98 percent of all motorcyclists suffered injuries in crashes with other vehicles.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has documented well over a million people who treated in emergency rooms for motorcycle accident injuries. It then recorded the location of the injuries on the victim’s body. Additionally, the legs, and feet accounted for about 30 percent of all injuries. These consisted of fractures, dislocations, and joint damage. About 22 percent were to the neck and head in the form of traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries. Followed closely by “upper trunk” injuries to the chest, shoulders, and spine. Then, arm and hand injuries followed hip and pelvis injuries. As per the Hurt Report, injuries to the head and chest caused most motorcyclist fatalities.
Unless you otherwise overcome the no-fault threshold. The first $10,000 of your medical bills and other losses will come from your own insurance company under your personal injury protection coverage. After that, you can seek damages directly from the party who was responsible for your accident. Expect the medical bills and lost time from work to be financially and emotionally overwhelming. Under Florida law, those damages ordinarily consist of the following:
Expect the insurer of the person who caused your motorcycle accident to try and push some or all of the blame for your accident over onto you. Some potential jurors might even have certain prejudices against motorcyclists. You need an experienced Tampa motorcycle accident lawyer who can overcome these obstacles. Our objective is to obtain the highest possible settlement or verdict for you. Don’t give a statement of any kind to the opposing insurer. Florida law doesn’t require you to help that insurer defend your case against its insured person.