As summer break comes to an end the back-to-school season starts. Although back-to-school can be an exciting time for kids and parents, it brings the risk of back-to-school accidents. As a matter of fact, we can all do our part to avoid back-to-school accidents. So, we put together some safety tips for students and parents to follow as school gets back into session.
Back-to-School Bus Rider Safety
First, riding the bus to school is one of the safest alternatives to parents dropping kids off at school. In fact, they designed school buses with safety in mind. Yet, school bus accidents can still happen. So, here are some safety tips to help keep your child safe as they go back-to-school.
- Make sure they give themselves enough time to get to the bus stop.
- Stay alert. So, they can see and hear cars on the road.
- Don’t stand on the edge of the road. Try to stay at least 5 steps from the edge or curb.
- If they need to cross the road always wait for the bus driver to signify it is safe to cross. Even if the bus driver says it is safe, look both ways before crossing.
- Never try to board the bus while it is moving. Always wait for the bus to stop and open the doors indicating it is safe to board.
- The same goes for exiting the bus. They should not get out of their seat to exit until the has stopped.
- While on the bus sit facing forward and don’t hang anything out the window.
Parents and Carpool Driver Safety
Next, if you drive your student or take part in a carpool to get them to school then this is for you. Because drivers need to stay alert and use extra caution in school zones and around school buses. So, here are some tips to help you avoid a back-to-school accident.
- First and foremost, adhere to the speed limit.
- Follow your child’s schools drop off procedures.
- Watch for kids crossing the street and try to make eye contact with them.
- Slow down when approaching a school bus.
- If the bus is flashing red lights stop! In fact, you should stop about 20 feet from the bus.
- Never ever pass a stopped school bus that is allowing kids to get on or off the bus.
Teen Drivers Back-to-School Safety Tips
Finally, we must not forget about the teenage driver. Since car accidents are one of the leading causes of death for teens. Preparation like this is very important. For this reason, we put together some safety precautions to review with your teen.
- Buckle up and do not start driving until everyone in the car has a seatbelt on.
- Put your cell phone away and do not use it while driving.
- Drive the speed limit.
- Limit the number of passengers to help reduce distractions.
- If it is raining turn on your headlights and drive with extra caution.
CONTACT A TAMPA AUTO ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
In short, after a car accident, you may not know your rights. Above all, don’t struggle through the process alone. Actually, our personal injury team is here to help you with any legal needs you might have regarding your accident.
Lastly, let RHINO Lawyers answer your questions and review the facts of your case with a Free Consultation. So, get started by completing the “Free Instant Case Evaluation” or by calling us any time, day or night, at 844.329.3491.