To begin with, most people associate distracted driving with using a cell phone. While using a cell phone while driving is common. Especially, texting while driving. However, using a cell phone is not the only form of distracted driving.
In fact, the NHTSA says distracted driving is anything that takes your attention away from driving. For this reason, it could include many activities. So, here is a list of other activities considered distracted driving.
- Talking on cell phone
- Eating and/or drinking
- Using a GPS
- Updating social media sites or apps
- Checking email
- Using a phone’s camera or video app
- Attending to children or pets
- Adjusting the radio or music
- Talking to other passengers
Manual Distractions While Driving
First, manual distractions while driving involve taking one or both hands off the steering wheel. And, almost every distracted driver will take at least one hand off the wheel. But this makes it difficult to properly steer. And, nearly impossible to make an emergency maneuver. Furthermore, this dangerous distraction could cause you to veer off the road or into oncoming traffic.
Actually, visual distractions are the most common with drivers. To tell the truth, this makes sense. Because taking your eyes off the road is an action that takes your attention away from driving. For example, a visual impairment could include these actions texting, looking at billboards, grooming, and more.
With this in mind, these distractions hinder a driver’s ability to consistently evaluate their surroundings. Which is important for every driver’s safety. As well as, for the safety of other vehicles on the road. Moreover, the CDC states a person texting will take their eyes off the road for an average of 5 seconds. Which at 55 miles per hour the person could travel the length of a football field.
Finally, we have cognitive distractions. Unfortunately, these are less straight forward than the other types. Because these distractions cause the driver’s mind to wander. Such as, when a driver talks to another person, daydreaming and listening to the radio.
Furthermore, cognitive distractions are deceiving. Considering, the driver has a full view of the road. Although, the driver loses concentration on the road and has a higher chance of an accident. Due to the fact, they are not able to think fast and react to potential hazards.
Distracted Driving Crashes
Incidentally, a accidente de coche caused by distractive driving could have a tragic ending for the people involved. In fact, NHTSA said in 2017, distracted driving claimed 3,166 lives. However, these accidents are not limited to only car accidents. For one thing, our Tampa auto accident attorneys see a variety of these cases including:
- Accidentes de moto – Granted, it is a bad idea to take your eyes off the road and hands off the handlebars while riding a motorcycle. Consequently, riders could have a distracted driver hit them and cause serious injuries or death.
- Truck Accidents – For one thing, with many truck drivers working long hours driving their minds can wander. As well as, most drivers use navigation systems like Waze, Google Maps and, Garmin which can also distract them from the road.
- Pedestrian Accidents – While, a distracted driver could hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Additionally, they could hit a person exiting a car. Or, swerve off the road and strike a person on the sidewalk.
- Drunk or Impaired Drivers – Actually, when you add drugs or alcohol to these distractive action’s things get extremely dangerous. Because impaired drivers already have slower reactions to things happening around them.
- Bicycle Accidents – Similarly, bicyclists face the same risk of injury or death as a pedestrian. Because they don’t have the same protection an automobile provides. In addition, cyclists have all the for distractive driving as a motorist.
- Uber or Lyft Driver and Passenger Accidents – Likewise, it goes for Uber and Lyft drivers. Considering, they drive long hours like truck drivers they face the same risks from navigation systems and daydreaming.
Preventing Distracted Driving
Finally, we should use education to prevent distracted driving. So, new drivers learn and current drives learn the activities that cause distracted driving. Because, many of these activities consist of more than one distracting activity, like texting and adjusting the radio. So, here are the top ways for everyone to avoid distractions on the road.
- Turn your cell phone off, put it on “do not disturb”, or airplane mode.
- Consume food and drinks before driving.
- Program your GPS before pulling out of the driveway or pull over to a safe place to park and program.
CONTACTE A UN ABOGADO DE ACCIDENTES DE AUTO EN TAMPA
En resumen, después de un accidente de coche, es posible que no conozca sus derechos. Sobre todo, no luche solo en el proceso. En realidad, nuestro equipo de lesiones personales está aquí para ayudarle con cualquier necesidad legal que pueda tener en relación con su accidente.
Por último, dejemos que RHINO Lawyers responder a sus preguntas y revisar los hechos de su caso con una consulta gratuita. Así que, comience completando el "EVALUACIÓN DE CASO GRATUITA INSTANTÁNEAMENTE" o llamándonos a cualquier hora, de día o de noche, al 844.329.3491.